The Company of Watermen and Lightermen, 16 - 18 St-Mary-at-Hill, London, EC3R 8EF
Telephone: (+44) 020 7283 2373 Fax: (+44) 020 7283 0477 E-mail: admin
In 1514 the earliest Act of Parliament for regulating watermen, wherrymen and bargemen received Royal Assent from King Henry VIII.
In 2014 the Company is celebrating the 500th anniversary of that Act.
Under this Act the Company introduced apprenticeships for those wishing to learn the skills of the Watermen. In 1700 the Lightermen (carriers of goods/cargo) joined the Watermen’s Company. The Company is a working guild and is still actively involved with the life of the River and those that work on it.
The present Watermen’s Hall was built in 1780 being designed by William Blackburn for the Company. It is the only original Georgian Hall in the City of London.
For further information about some of the events planned see our 500th page under the Company tab.
Watermen's Hall welcomes Inn or Out as its exclusive caterer at the Hall. For more information on hiring the Hall visit our corporate web site on or telephone
Sarah Levy of Inn or Out on
0207 283 3073 or 07841 422424 (mobile) or email
To book for the River Thames Club
0207 283 3073 or 07841 422424 (mobile)
The Court Room